Saturday 19 October 2013

APNA AASMAN, UNKA ZAMEEN

I was impressed by the movie, "Apna Aasmam". It did lack some directorial finesse, both then again you have Irrfan Khan, Shobhana, Anupan Kher and a good supporting cast. You could watch it once. It's about a differently able boy, an artist in the making, transforming into a freakish math genius, with the use of hocus-pocus drugs, supported by his parents and a shady doctor. This part is rather unrealistic. However, it is a happy ending and the boy becomes a painter again.
It did strike many chords with me. Like the movie, my parents worried about my stammer. My mum was concerned, but dad was busy in business (i did find the lines blurring between real and reel life). My mum took me to various doctors, some who agreed to and assured magic cures, with treatments ranging from herbs to swallowing live fish. I was too young to understand what was going on. Teenage, the questions, and an identity crisis made my stammer worse. The respite, of all the places, was found in a government office. A doctor who had come to renew his driving license met me at the Regional Transport Office. He was a Speech Therapist. I picked up within a few weeks and surprised him with my recovery. My parents felt it was odd, but thankfully, they supported me, especially mom.
My stammer did come back, but thankfully, another doctor was at hand.
During this period, i could not understand the structures and formula of Life Science. I had enrolled in Biotechnology, Microbiology and Biochemistry. It was the fad five years ago, and though i chose Journalism and English literature, i was pooh-poohed and made to join B.Sc. It was only due to the support and encouragement of teachers that i managed to pull through. All the text books by foreign authors gathered dust. I could not understand why facts of life had to based on Darwinian Theory. Facts based on theory? How does that work!?
My dreams could not be realized on the grounds my family built for me.
I was lost.
I came out of Bachelors in Science with good marks, and surprisingly, with no back papers. Before i could think of my next move, my mother had already called up Microbiologists, Bio technologists and got the admission papers, with one lakh rupees in cash for admission; i could not take it anymore. I rebelled.
What followed were days of arguments and lectures. Many were surprised at my behavior, that i was talking back and giving my opinion. I gave a piece of my mind to my relatives too, and they beat a hasty retreat, mumbling and grumbling of course. A compromise was reached. If i could not make it to Masters in Arts, i would be joining Masters in Microbiology. I agreed.
Lo and behold! handwork and lady luck were in my favor and i got through the entrance exams for Journalism at the University of Mysore. At the end of two years, not only had i found myself as a writer, i was a gold medalist too, a first in the family.
Like the movie, my story had a good ending too. People accepted me for what i am. I still do get chided for changing tracks, but then, it is not their dream. I weave my dreams in my own sky. And i wish the same for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment