Saturday 23 February 2013

NIGHTMARE ON FIRST JOB STREET, PART 3


I did not realise the harm it was causing me emotionally. I would turn to drinking as a way to forget the stress. My diet went for a toss. The other staff would get cab or travel allowance if they went late, but not me. The reason was that my papers hadn't come through. This went on for a month. My respite from all this were the conversations i had with my flat mates. It was fun.
Back in the office, the verbal assaults and abuses continued. Sarcastic tones followed. I did talk back once, only to be met by 'I'M A SENIOR SO SUCK IT UP AND SHUT UP'.  I did put up with all these, along with a girl who was very helpful and kind, but faced the same abuse from the guy. She told me that quitting was not an option. I agreed, hesitatingly though. The creative head had warned me that such pressures will be there. We had no HR as such, and my copy writing section had only me and my pig-of-a-senior. 
The breaking point reached when I waited like a dog to get a copy approved, while he played a game of carrom. At the end of it, he just wrote one line on the copy and gave it back. 'ARE U WRITING FOR A DOG OR A PERSON?' I couldn't take it anymore. Only when you reach the bottom of the well, do you get the strength to crawl back. I did. I QUIT. For good.
The emotional turmoil that followed taught me the importance of family. My family supported my decision to return. This, given the fact that for all the abuse and hardwork i put in, i wasn't paid a penny. I remember the night i quit. I made an excuse that my sister had come, my senior asked me to "F*@k off" and i just ran from the office. I was crying with tears of joy. The next day i told the office that my father has fallen sick, (which he had) and i'm returning back to help in the business. It wasn't the actual reason. I could not muster the courage to say that i no could longer can take the beating. But, i did not leave empty handed. My senior had to leave for his native for a week long vacation. He had booked the flight tickets too. He pleaded that i stay back for the week.
There was no doubt in my mind that this was my chance. I had to take it. I refused and spoiled his travel plans. In a way, i had my own sweet revenge.

1 comment: